This is a great video about high speed photography. The video covers some techniques and tips from Chase Jarvis Tech Studio.
How they did it?
- first took photo of a water balloon cut with a knife.
- They removed all the unnecessary background and setup marks with PS resulting in a clean water explosion image.
- The water was combined to a Karate fighter kicking .
Chase’s tips for high speed photography:
- Lower the ambient light – this will get you a clearer water explosion effect.
- The flash stops the action – the action will be freeze by the flash, not by the shutter speed.
- Use trigger to pop the flash – Chase used here a long exposure while he triggered the flash manually (trigger in his hand).
- Try to use flashes with short flash duration – and advantage studio lights has on small flashes.