After releasing the YN 560 III Yonguo announced another flash model with some more features the YN500EX.
The YN 500 EX is their second attempt on the HSS compatible flash market, but this time it comes with a bit less power 53GN.
The new flash is pretty much similar to the YN568EX :
- Full manual control.
- Wireless options – S1/S2 optical slave, and can be used as a slave with Nikon/Canon wireless system.
- Smaller design – YN500 EX is looking a bit smaller compared to its bigger brother the YN568EX (reviewed here). LCD is smaller and the buttons looks more close together.
- Buttons design – a welcomed upgrade with the YN 500 EX is its new button design, they are larger and backlit, very helpful while trying to manage the flash in dark places.
General thoughts about the YN500EX:
Power issues -The new model has a bit less power compared to the bigger YN568EX. This power drop makes it less effective especially in its main feature, who is the HSS modes. Going for the 500EX and not with the 568EX just for saving some bucks might be a mistake if you get it for HSS purposes.
Design – This one looks in my opinion much better than the YN568EX. Its smaller design compared to the bulkier 568 makes it a big difference.
Size – The YN 500 EX looks more like the 430EX or SB700 (something of a combination of both), it’s a nice add-on to YN’s flash arsenal. Guys who are using small cameras like Canon’s 1100D or even advanced pocket cameras like G15 will find a smaller flash more comfortable compared to the YN568/565EX.
Price – The YN500EX shows p on ebay for 157$. This means it will get a solid price of about 150$ in a couple of month. This price tag puts it very close to the YN565EX, you might consider the new flash over the older one.
YN622C? – This flash will work great with the YN622 trigger. The only thing you’d have to consider is the 53GN, so in situations where you push it to its limit – 1/8000th and wide open aperture, you might regret you got it over the 568EX, as the flash power is very noticable in HSS.
YN 500 EX Main features
- YN500EX can synchronize with all shutter speeds, the maximum shutter sync up to 1/8000.
- COMPATIBLE WITH N’s and C’s WIRELESS FLASHING SYSTEM
- One YN500EX is able to respectively accept internal flashing of 580EX II, SB-900/800/700, 7D/60D/600D, C order of N’s internal flashing and ST-E2 wireless signal, achieves external TTL and manual flashing.
- GN53@ ISO100, 105mm.
- The YN500EX can be triggered by the camera set-top, built-in or main-controlled flashing command, S1 and S2 (pre-flash-canceled mode).
- SUPPORTS AUTO/MANUAL ZOOMING
- Head can zoomed 24～105mm on the lamp adapter by operating the zoom button on the flash light, supports full-frame/half-frame camera.
- The YN500EX supports HSS, FEC, FEB, Rear-curtain sync, FE lock, Modeling Light, Canon camera menu accessible
- SUPER SPEED OF CHARGING RECYCLE
- COMPLETED WITH STANDARD PC SYNCHRONOUS INTERFACE
- SOUND PROMPTING SYSTEM
- DEPTH-OF-FIELD – pressing down the camera’s depth-of-fired preview button, the YN500EX will send out continuous flash lasting one second.
- AUTOMATIC SETTINGS SAVING – YN500EX automatically save the operation currently used for your future use.
So what do you think about this new add-on to YN’s flash line?